22 June 2008

Weekend

Saturday's ride has been moved to 8 am in an effort to beat the summer heat, but DAMN, it's early. The alarm went off at 6:15...it was still dark!
Anyway, we had a really good, even group for the ride. A lot of the usual suspects were conspicuous in their absence, but to each his own.
We went out through the Fort and down onto Old Leesburg for the normal Saturday stroll into Eastover. We were all together and going along nicely and then, as usual, my phone rang. Normally, I just don't anwer it, but it was the H.O. calling, and seeing how we have two toddlers, I felt obliged to answer. I love the H.O., but sometimes, she's a dumbass. #1 got a zinc lozenge and attepted to ingest it. For those of you who have tried 'Cold-eze' lozenges, you know they taste like a bit like a 9 volt battery dipped in fertilizer. He promptly spit it out, but the H.O. still felt the need to call me and make sure I got shot out the back of the group while talking to her on the phone.
I chased and caught the bunch right after the turn onto Chaingang. We all gathered up and noticed the NID made a bit of a sneak attack and was away. The line worked well together and brought it back a bit, but time was winding down before the sprint, and I wasn't going to let him stay away. We'd never hear the end of it.
I warned everyone that my next time through I was going to nail it...and I did. I took it to 60kmh and left it there. The gap closed quickly.
After that, we all stayed together and rode and good medium-hard tempo until the end of the ride. I felt good again and feel like some form is starting to come on.
90km in 2:45 for the day.
This morning, we were supposed to have 6 on the ride. Casey and Rob bailed (weak) and upon arrival at TVH's house, we found him in flip-flops, casual wear and decidedly pillow smashed hair...a bit too much red, white AND pink wine last night.
The ride got shortened for Doogie and I. We did Sandy Run, up into Gaston and home. I was tired and he had one too many beers last night (he had two beers, fwiw). Of course, it had rained out there, so the bike is filthy, again, and has developed a click in the crank/BB. It was a nice, slow, 2:45 on the bike and 75km.
A good weekend of riding overall. Cooler temps, little wind and good company...

No comments: