13 June 2008

Better

The Thursday ride was pretty big last night. Bigger than it has been for a long while at least...
The weather was a bit more cooperative as well. It was only 90 when I left the house. Of course, it did start to sprinkle rain on the run down to Elon and it felt oh so good.
There were some horses out last night, but the ride didn't seem to be ballistic. Don't get me wrong, there were a few moments when I was tasting pennies, but it wasn't a ball-breaker.
I stayed in the back for the most part and just surfed. No reason to be a hero when all I want is some speed work.
I knew that'd I'd have to burn a match or two on Airbase, so discretion was called for early in the ride. I was correct in that theory. Once we got to the rise on Airbase, Der Kaiser hit the front. I was last man in the left line and I saw him go. I jumped hard up the rise and tagged onto the back of the lead group. The problem was that I used the jump and sprint to get there and just couldn't stay. I passed Beano and we worked together for the rest of Airbase. The killer was the fact that the gap between us and the lead bunch never opened up. We matched their speed the entire way to the 4 way and stayed away from the rest of the bunch behind us. It was a nice tailwind stretch on Airbase too...very nice!
After that, the group rode piano the rest of the way home. No jumps, no attacks, no sprints...

I felt pretty good, but can tell I need some intensity work. No big lungs just yet...

9am Saturday this week and then 8am next Saturday...time to beat the heat...

No comments: