16 June 2008

damp

Saturday was thin, borderline anorexic. Some folks are preparing for BS&G, so they left a bit early to ride a bit longer...
The remainder of us ventured out through the Fort, down to Elon and did a new route into Eastover. It was a nice change. Mandrus and I did all of the work, so I got a good workout from the ride.
Sunday, TVH, Il Prof, Doogie and I met @ 8 for a Calhoun County ride. The weatherman said the rain would hold off until lunchtime....it must be mice to be wrong everyday and still draw a paycheck...
We were about 2 miles past the 176/21 split and I saw something that appeared to be smoke. Well, it wasn't!!!!!! A wall of water met us with big, fat, stinging drops. At this point, it was a bit late to turnaround, so we soldiered on through the deluge. We rode out to Big Beaver Creek (heh heh) and cut across to 176. It rained until we got to Eastman Chemical and then the roads were largely dry. Once back into town, I could tell that it didn't rain enough to get wet.
And of course, once I got in the shower, the sun came out and shone brightly...bastard. I will say that riding in the rain is much easier on the body than 95 degree heat.
Another hour spent cleaning the bike...again...! I rode the White Industries wheels...GD, those things ride well.
Overall, it was a good ride weekend. I ended with 6-1/2 hours on the bike and 200km. No real efforts to speak of, but some quality, form building miles.

Oh, Casey won the NC road race championships! A year on the bike and more palmares than most of the guys in town who have been riding for 20...

No comments: