05 December 2007

Good and Bad

I went out solo last night and did my old school, downtown, hour of power loop. Actually, last night was more like 40 minutes of power, but I'll get to that in a moment.
The weather was perfect, about 55 and very little wind. I rode up through campus, across the Statehouse complex and hit Main Street. I really like riding through town at night. You tend to see things a bit more clearly and notice stuff that usually gets passed over.
I made it down to the Canal and started my interval. I went 48/15 all the way from the beginning of the gravel, the entire length of the the Canal trail and to the old powerplant. It stung a little bit, mainly because of the cold night air, but didn't feel altogether bad.
I popped up out of the park and made my way across the big intersection on Huger St. Here's where the ride forcibly became slow. When I sprinted across the light, the telltale "ka-pang" of a broken spoke filled the night air. I was on the Ultegra built wheels. The combination of the the fat spoke and the high tension made the break sound like a gunshot. I stopped and man-handled the spoke a bit, so it wouldn't dick up the frame or my leg.
Normally, I bomb around in the Vista a bit and then climb out on Gervais St. Fearing the wheel would fail completely, I limped home on back streets.
It was a good ride overall though. I got out of the house, did a good interval and it's only gonna cost me about $20 to fix the wheel. Life moves on...

Christmas is 19 days away...I should probably start shopping...

Oh well, time to start my day. Errands abound this morning. Staying home with the kids is no easy task. What I would give to be 20 years old again and be able to laze about at some 5th rate, liberal arts school. If anyone thinks what I do is easy, feel free to step up and try it for a few days. #1 will whip you within 8 hours!

4 comments:

Kimi said...

Newberry is no 5th rate liberal arts school...yes it's a liberal arts, but I don't laze around all day and do nothing I am very busy with going to classes, studying, meetings, sorority...as of right now I pretty much have no social life.
This is me "stepping up," you want to get your Christmas shopping down, I will so.....watch your kids! if I can handle Derek and Rebecca's kids for a week, I am pretty sure I can handle yours.

MM said...

Let's get a few things straight...
College is nothing. It's easy, even for a retard like you. I went to Carolina and graduated in 4 years with TWO Bachelors Degrees and a 3.0gpa. I also had a damn good time. Newberry is a joke. A better education could likely be had at Tech. And be clear about something else...you'd never even get a bid for KD at Carolina. You have no social life because you choose not to have one, or because people just don't call you. You should be studying hard, as it seems you just aren't very bright. Maybe college is just harder for some people...
As for my shopping, it's done. As an aside, I'd never let you watch my kids. I like my kids too much to let them be dumbed down.
And quit making BS excuses about why you can't ride. My ride partner is married, owns a house, has two dogs and is in MEDICAL SCHOOL!!! If he can get out on the bike, a chubby sorority girl, racer wannabe can get out.
I'm done arguing with you, as it is a waste of my time. I don't feel the need to defend my schedule or responsibilities to a naive, sheltered 20 year old girl. No go away and don't come back...

Stacie said...

WOW! Sounds like you have some pretty serious issues for a brilliant stay at home dad who graduated with two bachelors and a 3.0 from USC. WOW for you!

As for you Kimi...any 20 year old who takes the initiative to go to college (and a fine one at that) get invovled at a level higher than just lazing around and in the meantime tries to find time to ride your bike and take care of kids...more power to you! I am sure there is no need to even tell you this but don't waste time worrying yourself with IGRNORANCE!

MM said...

Wow, you MUST have gone to Newberry, considering you spelled IGNORANCE incorrectly!!

Two dopes don't make right...