30 September 2007

Weekend Update


It's Mr. Bettini to you people...

That's right, The Cricket won the Worlds, again...! He's a bad MF.
Okay, now onto my pre-nap update.
Saturday met a smaller group than we've had lately, but it was chilly (64...). We did the tried and true Eastover loop, but went down Ridge and up Harmon this time. The ride stayed together and relatively slow all the way to 378. Once we hit Chaingang, the speed increased. Gradually at first though...
We had a nice, conservative 40-42kmh paceline working, everyone was doing their part, and then it happened. I pulled through, Dr. LP pulled through and Der Kaiser hit the front. He drilled it like he was looking for oil. We went from 42kmh to 55kmh in about 100 meters. Did I mention that Dr. LP and I were still hung out in the left line? Thankfully, Mrs. Der Kaiser let us in just before the pace went to 60kmh. RW kept it @ 60, LP pulled through at 60 and led out the sprint. I hit the 12 and think I actually went backwards. Der Kaiser got me at the line by half-a-wheel. Note to self...stay in the 13!
Anyway, the pace stayed high down to the Cricket Store, on Bluff and all the way to the GMart.
Trez sat up and looked like hammered shit, so I sat up with him in an effort to rally him on to the store. After two long pulls into the headwind at 40kmh, he was gone again.
I TT'd to the store, trying to keep my wattage @ 285-300. I did it, but it stung a bit. I should have said F him and stayed in the group. Doogie/Ballpeen was driving the pace and it evidently was hurting some folks. Get yours now you little shit. Next spring, when your ass is stuck at the hospital, working 18 hour days, I'll be riding!
After the re-group, we rode piano back up Horrell Hill, through the Fort and home. I ended up with 100km and was ti-red when I hit the door.
This morning, I did a SLOW loop of the Fort by myself. The H.O. and the management trainees are gone for the day, so I got in some much needed bike maintenance. The cross bike hadn't been cleaned since coming back from the beach...sorry! The Ridley's drivetrain was looking kind of crusty, so it got a scrub.
Now, I'm going to crawl into bed, turn on the NASCAR race in HD and sleep through it...
Edit: Il Professore had a bad weekend. Saturday, he got hit by a full Gatorade bottle thrown from a passing car. Sunday, he stood up on a climb and sheared the axle of his Look Keo pedal. He crashed pretty heavily, but nothing is broken...other than the pedal that is...

No comments: