13 September 2007

I'm famous...

http://fixedgeargallery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14670

It's funny to me that some of the posters on that board have genuine disdain for me, while about half of them have no problem with it. One guy in particular has his manties in a huge wad. Unfortunately, most of the posters on that board aren't intelligent enough to throw together their thoughts and reply in a coherent manner. Nor do they realize that the title of this post is meant to be ironic....buncha smarties over there!

I will admit, my actions may have been a bit strong-armed, but I initially got out of the truck to check for any damage and to TALK to the aforementioned d-bag, wannbe, hipsters. The escalation of the situation was caused by the hipster guy. I'm sorry, but if I've got my kids in the car and someone decides to run at me, attempting to force a confrontation, it's highly likely that they will get one, regardless of their age and/or size.

I was merely defending myself, my property and most of all, my children. If you can't understand that, then you should probably grow up a bit.

There will come a time when you Chuck Taylor, cut-off Dickies, vintage (bought at American Apparel) t-shirt wearing, fixed gear wannabes have to grow up, move out of your mom's basement and become contributing members of society. I know it's hard not to be "core", but to quote John Stewart, "You just aren't helping...!"

That being said, I'm all about bikes and riding. By all means, ride your bike, but don't act like the laws of society, be they "de jure" or "de facto", don't apply to you. Use common sense!

And don't think for a moment that I have love for the car, because I don't. It's a necessary evil. I can't take the kids to school, or go to Target or go check in on my 90 year old grandmother on my bike. Well, I could, but the amount of time wasted would be staggering. I truly wish I could live in a small village where a car was un-needed.
Believe me when I tell you, in my 23 years on the bike, I have been yelled at, buzzed, swerved at and had more shit throw at me, than I care to remember. Should I tell the story of the full 20oz. Coke bottle that came from an oncoming car, into the group and hit me in the forearm...while going 25 mph?

I will not devote any more time to this folly, nor will I engage in arguments with any of the hipster wannabes...done...over...finished...


Check out the link to BIKESNOB for more info on the fixed gear wannbe trend...

No comments: