08 September 2007

7 for 9 or Signs of the Apocalypse

So I've ridden 7 out of the last 9 days, including the last two Beer rides. I'm thinking I'm pretty much done with the Beer ride. It's getting to dark at the end and too dangerous the rest of the time. The trip down Golden Arrow is an exercise in self-preservation. 20+ gapers with poor, at best, handling skills heading down the hill handlebar to handlebar...scary stuff! They take that ride WAAAY too seriously.

We had a great ride today. It started with the biggest group we've had in literally months. We decided to do the long Eastover loop. Things started out easy enough...

The pace was positively mellow out of the Fort and the entire run up Old Leesburg to 378. Once we crossed 378 and turned onto Chaingang, it got quick and stayed quick. It was a much easier trip down Chaingang this time as the County has decided to pave it. I'm not talking about the old 'tar and chip' that is the norm for rural roads around here. They paved it with honest-to-God, billiard ball smooth asphalt. It made for a rather enjoyable 50kph run down into Eastover. I took my pull in the 53x14 and was just about spun out. With that many people on the ride, the end of the paceline took a while to get to you once you'd done a turn.
We rode through Eastover and out to The Cricket Store, then kept the pace high all the way to GMart.
The remainder of the ride was a slow/medium tempo.

I ended up with right at 100km and considering the head cold I'm fighting, didn't ride all that bad. Some form is starting to creep it's way back into my fat body.

I've decided to take Sunday off the bike as a sick day. I will be NyQuil'd up very shortly and likely either really goofy or asleep after that...

See you Tuesday @ The TNCWC!

No comments: