12 September 2007

It's official...

The fixed gear, hipster, douchebag trend has made all the way to Columbia. Two weeks ago, there was a "Critical Mass" ride that completely snarled traffic and pissed off pretty much everyone in Shandon and Five Points. The irony? There were only about 30 people on the "ride".
Shortly thereafter, one of the wannabe, legs-like-a-veal calf, hipsters was in CC bragging about the "ride", to which I let him know my general opinion of him, those on the "ride" and the "ride" itself. He wanted to compare mileage and fitness levels, so I invited him out for either the TNCWC or the Thursday ride, his choice. His answer? "Roadies are posers...!" Easy cop out there moron...
This morning, I'm on my way to take #1 to school and run an errand and I get yelled at by two of the aforementioned hipsters for coming too close to them on Heyward St. Needless to say, I gave them a WIDE berth, even though they were taking the entire freaking lane. They pulled up at the light and began berating me. As most of you who know me realize, this isn't always the best angle of attack when confronting me. Both kids were in the car though, so I let it go with a smartass wave and smile. The female hipster proceeded to kick my truck as I pulled away.
Well folks, that shit just doesn't fly around here. I locked it down, stopped, and got out to have a "conversation". The male hipster decided he was feeling frisky, so he jumped right in my face and was met with my right hand around his neck and a small, albeit effective, slam into the side of my truck. Did I mention that this was in the middle of the intersection of Heyward and Woodrow?
At that point, I explained that I was a cyclist and probably had been for about as long as they'd both been taking breath. I also explained that acting like complete douchebags while on the bike only made it worse for everyone who rode, regardless of the what, where, why or how.
After about 30 seconds of being held against his will by someone bigger and stronger, male hipster decided to apologize and agreed that they over-reacted.

I'm all for the rights of cyclists and the need to make Columbia more bike friendly, but over-reaction by the lunatic fringe of the cycling world doesn't help the cause. I hate to say it, but if those two morons kick the wrong vehicle, they might get hurt badly or worse. Nothing says I'm hardcore like a bullet in the ass or a 2 ton SUV crushing your pelvis.

Ride your bike like cars don't see you. That's the only way to stay alive and in one piece.

Rant over...

See you guys Thursday night...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"but over-reaction by the lunatic fringe of the cycling world doesn't help the cause"

Flys both ways.

Anonymous said...

would have done the same but it has upset some dickheads here

MM said...

My reaction was a natural one after an attempt by the female hipster attempted to damage my personal property. I didn't plan on choking the little shit, but you just don't run at someone when their two kids are in the car! Unless you were there, you can't armchair quarterback the situation!
Or where you there....?