23 September 2007

50%

One out of two ain't bad...
The Saturday ended up being the biggest 8 a.m. group we've had for a LONG time. We all assembled and then rolled out through the fog. It was like riding in Ireland. Visibility was maybe 200 yards as we crested the hill at Hilton Field. It kind of kept everyone together on the way off the Fort though.
We did the long Eastover loop, which includes that long, languid ribbon of black gold that is called Chaingang. On the run out Old Leesburg and up to 378, the pace was very moderate. Either that or I was feeling good, considering we went up the long climb @ 33 kmh. A few stragglers we're off the back, including Der Kaiser. He was damaged goods for the first 2/3 of the ride. It seems that he and the Mrs. consumed mass quantities of alcohol the night before.
Once on Chaingang, we waited for the stragglers. Well, most of us waited...
It seems Doogie, NID, Mrs. Der Kaiser and one other decided to make a break for it. Once the main group got together, the chase was on. We were rolling through just fine @ 48kmh when Reed decided to kill it. I looked down and the PT said 55kmh. Once he rolled off, the pace dropped back down. The gap to the front four was still 250 meters with about a km to go to the town limit sign. I hit the front at @ 500 and just pegged it. We didn't make the catch, but Cisco and I blew by at 60kmh shortly after the sign.
The pace stayed around 40kmh all the way to the GMart. Everyone behaved themselves on Cabin Creek and down Old Hopkins. The normal 'over the tracks' attack went on the back side of Double Homey. I chased across to the attacking group of 4 and then bridged across to Cisco.

Once we got through the light on Shop, the leadout for the sprint was on. Il Professore took a long, damn fast pull, then Philip pulled. I let Philip back in line, but Mark and Cisco were nailing it on the overpass. Philip let a gap open @ 1km, which took a small, yet painful moment to close. I let Cisco hit the gas first and then came around him right at the bridge at 65kmh. I did just enough to win the sprint. I couldn't drop it in the 12, so I was WAY on top of the 13.

It was a great ride. It's always nice to have a big group that has ridden together alot. I got home with 95km and just under 3 hours of ride time. The H.O. was shopping with her sister and the management trainees, so I had some pizza and took a nice nap! Saturday was a good day! I felt good, rode well and seem to be getting this cold out of my system. I did exactly what I planned to do on the ride.
I've been trying to shame my brother into coming back across the river to ride, but Lexington has it's hooks in him. I guess riding with a bunch of fat gapers does have it's advantages.

No ride today. I got up and got a message from Doogie that he wasn't going to ride, so I slept in a bit. The H.O. and I loaded up the boys and all of the shit that goes along with them, and went to the zoo. Another good day was had by all...! Nothing fills a 2 year old with excitement like watching an elephant poop.

See you @ the TNCWC. It'll be shorter because of the daylight, or lack thereof...

No comments: