20 September 2007

Drizzly and The Planet of the Squirrels

I talked to Doogie right a 5 and he said he was going to ride if it wan't raining. I rolled to the Fort and while I was waiting, seemingly in vain, Der Kaisers rode by and said they were doing a loop. I tagged on and we rode out. Philip joined us at Hilton Field and we did a slow, reverse loop in the pissy rain. It wasn't raining in the truest sense of the word. It was more like a hanging mist that was just enough to spot your glasses and render them useless.

It was a nice ride with pleasant conversation and I ended with 1:45 and 50k. I was pretty stiff when I left the house, but felt better when I got home, even though we rode in the wet.

Now on to the squirrels...

I'd been hearing scratching and squeeking coming from behind the wall, just above the fireplace. It seems the yard rats had discovered a hole, up high, beside the chimney, and proceeded to make it large enough to pass through. After a couple of days of this, I decided I wasn't having glorified rats living inside the wall all winter. I went to Lowes and got a can of that expanding foam and filled the hole. Well, this did nothing more than piss of the homesteaders. I was feeding #2 yesterday afternoon and was glared at through the window by one of the aforementioned squirrels. It was very Hitchcock. He wasn't just looking in the window, he was looking AT me. The little SOB actually chewed a new hole in the foam.
I don't know how you may have handled it, but it was on after that...

I went back to Lowes, got another can of foam and a big container of vermin repellant. It's some sort of granule that has been treated with Oil of Black pepper, capsacin and something that sounds like terrorists would use on the subway against a large city. I filled the hole with foam and then sprinkled that repellant onto the wet glob. I then put down another layer of foam with the granules on top. It looks like a big, irritating sundae. The little SOB hasn't come back today though...! The repellant smelled strong to me and slightly burned my eyes. I can't imagine what it does to a squirrel's olfactory senses.
If he comes back, the ante goes up and I go nuclear...no rattling the saber here! I'll poison the shit out of the bastard.

Saturday 8 a.m. -- See you guys then...

2 comments:

Kimi said...

great story!!! Squirrels are loads of fun to deal and play with!!!

MM said...

Screw those little fuckers! I think they are pissed because so many of their fuzzy brethren have gone to meet their maker, thanks to my Jack Russells. Is killing a squirrel with a 12ga. shotgun considered overkill?