31 May 2013

And we're winding down...


Mancation is coming to a close...and to be honest, I'm just about ready to get home, sleep in my own bed, and do a ride that is FLAT.  There is NO flat here.  You have to choices...UP or DOWN.
No matter.  The roads are good, the weather has been outstanding, and I have a 28 on the rear wheel.

From Wednesday's ride West...

Good morning Ladies...
As I passed, they all raised their heads, and watched me roll by.  None missed a single chew of their breakfast...

This farm road led me to one of those roads that, if one was forced to choose a road to ride for the rest of one's life, would be a stellar choice.

I give you Rt.282 in semi-rural Pa.  13-ish miles of smooth, twisty, canopied pavement.  I got passed by TWO cars on the entire length.  If you are ever in the vicinity, please do yourself a favor, and ride it.  Thank me later.

That being said, it IS in a valley, and DOES follow a trout stream downhill.  The climb out to the plateau is @ 2 miles, and averages 8%.  Most of that average is kicked up in the last 400m, which is an oh-so-fun 20-ish%.  Stick it in the 28, and stand up...

Yesterday was a tale of two rides.
 Going OUT to Valley Forge, I felt like Superman.  Hills?  What hills?  Wind?  What wind?
I got there almost a full 10 minutes faster than usual.  Just ROLLED it.  I did two big loops, stopped for a wee, and to refill the bottles, and headed on my way.
Coming back...not so much...
About 8 miles from home, the wheels came off.  I didn't go full Bonk, but I definitely cracked.  HARD.  The legs went away, and the HR skyrocketed.  Auto-Pilot kicked in, and I survived it.  Felt like hammered shit for a good hour after hitting the house though.  The tile floor in the bathroom was my friend.


 The story of the terrain around here...

Wee stop.  Yes, I am THAT guy on this trip.  I rode the carbon wheels.  I wish I hadn't.  In a place where braking modulation is needed, it's the one thing I really didn't have.
Nothing says love like repeated 40+mph descents on carbon clinchers...

 The Memorial Arch in Valley Forge...I like this place...

Highest point in the park.  Not a bad view...

Once home, fed, watered, and napped, we loaded up and headed down to Citizens Bank Park for some inter-league play with the Red Sox.


Hadn't been to a Phillies game in DECADES...literally.  The new park is NICE.  Easy in, easy out.  The amenities are outstanding.
Our seats didn't suck either.
And I got to see Jackie Bradley Jr. play.  The Sox subbed him into the game in the 7th.  Kinda cool to see him in The Show.

Today will be an easy 90 minute spin...in the woods...

Headed back to SC tomorrow morning....for some rest...


No comments: