13 May 2013

12 days

...until Mancation '13...not that I'm counting...

Junior Management is psyched that they only have 10 days of school left.  Not that they're actually doing anything anyway.  SC education...50th in the nation...#1 in our hearts...

Bristol and I went out Saturday morning for a CXploration ride. (I should trademark that...).  The dirt was FLOODED last week, so what did we do?  Went out to see the after-effects.  I wouldn't say it was necessarily the brightest decision, but we had a good time, and saw some cool shit.

 More than a few spots of standing water along the way...

 ...and a section of moving water.  The flood water was still receding Saturday morning.  This was 8-12 inches deep, moving, and COLD...
Yes, we rode through it...duh...

 Here's where it was running TO.  This is NOT normally a creek...

 For reference of the height of the flood, JB's head is about 6 feet of so from the road surface while on the bike.  As one can see, the waterline was at, or above his head in this section.  The river itself is a SOLID 1000+ feet from the road at this point. 

 The boardwalk in WeCola.  Yes...that's river mud.  Yes again...that's river mud on the railing.  The railing is 48" tall.  At normal level, the river is 20-ish feet below.  The water was DEEP!  Most of the WeCola side was muddy like this...and slicker than goose poop.

You may have ridden farther or faster, but I doubt you had more fun...
After dropping JB at his van, I spun it home and ended with 3 hours on the bike.  That'll do...

Following the Mud Ride, I worked for @ 4 hours in the yard.  Dug 7 20" deep holes, mixed 350 pounds of Quikrete, and planted 7 posts.  I made the mistake of actually ASKING Junior Management what kind of play apparatus they wanted.  Their answer?  Pirate Ship.  Okay...we can do that...
The posts are solid, so it's time to start the framing.  The ship will also double as a severe weather shelter/panic room.  (I overbuild things...)

Sunday was Mother's Day, so I limited my ride to 1:15.  Who says I'm not a giver?  It was random.
I got chased by a Great Dane, who while not looking especially speedy while giving chase, made up surprisingly large chunks of real estate with every gallop.  His owner yelled, "He won't hurt you...he wants to play..."
Ok, sure...he weighed probably close to what I do, and was moving alarmingly quickly.  I didn't around to check the veracity of her statement.
I then saw a really nice Accord, that contained a VERY large human being, get rear-ended by a POS truck on Huger.  The VERY large human got out, and was less than pleased. 
I skated...no need to get involved in a summary ass-kicking on Mother's Day.
And the cherry on the top?  I turned the corner off of one street, onto my own, and broke a spoke.  Perfect...
It was still a good ride in the big sunshine...

And if you watched the Giro, you saw Wiggins ride like the wind, until the wet corners snuck up on him...

(photo credit : Sirotti) 
Square that shit off Brad....

It's Monday...and the mountains are calling.  Well, Target is calling...



No comments: