11 March 2013

Hidey-HO!

Hello Monday, you glorious S.O.B!!!

Good rides this weekend.  Just what I needed.  No, I didn't go to Blythewood...not to race...not watch...
Racing is not in the wheelhouse right now, as my fitness level isn't even close, and life has more important plans for my afternoons.  Thanks for the concern though...

We had a nice ride Saturday, hitting some roads out towards Eastover that we hadn't been on in many moons.  Good little lumpy ride out thru the horse farms with a couple of stops for bike-related fixes.  Il Prof had a flat after bashing some tracks, and I was forced to affect a repair with some help from Mr. Bates @ the G-Mart.

Pro-Tip:  Check your cleat screws once in a while.  The feeling of a (very) loose cleat is a bit disconcerting.

As for me...I felt pretty MEH.  The Boss made a baked good that was supposed to be GF.  I have my doubts.  I got my 'sensitivity' headache, and had a general feeling of malaise.  Knocking down 80km in the sunshine was still better than moping around the house.

 Hey...people up North...tell me again how great your riding, and weather, are...

I'm no expert, but I believe someone knocked down your fence!  (The real B of this?  He'd just fixed it from a previous incident!)  This is why we can't have nice things!

Sunday was back to the old Swansea loop schedule.  What a great freaking ride!  A little of everything packed into 100 km.  To be fair, I had 95km when I hit Service Course, so I looped the 'hood for a few minutes...
And it was warm...I rode in bibs with embro on the legs.  The feeling of wind rushing over uncovered legs was a bit odd at first!

Made a few little efforts, and felt WAAAY better than Saturday.  No spouse-made baked goods...

Pro-Tip: Eat like a pro.  Know what you're putting in your gullet!

 Calhoun County's finest...

Wild clover is in bloom out in Swansea.

Good miles with good people makes a good weekend.

Also did a little product testing.

No, not the camera...the mount.  I got it from BDop Cycling in Taiwan.  It's a 2.5" long carbon piece that takes the place of the nut on a QR.  It allows a low mounting point for a camera, or a light.  As one can see, the Contour fits perfectly.  I have the camera mounted "inboard"...if you will.  It's difficult to see, but there's a good centimeter+ between the fork leg and the camera body.

Contour cameras are long, but the mounting point is still forward of the fork itself.  The mount would easily accept a GoPro.  The only modification I made was to add a piece of innertube around the mount as an effort to dampen road shock.  It worked well.



Excuse two things...

1) I forgot to put a piece of tape over the mic on the camera, thus the wind noise...
2) I recorded the video @ 480p, as my aged laptop has the computing power of an abacus, and has trouble processing HD video.

It's a pretty cool little piece of kit.  It's a dead simple idea, and it works perfectly.  And you really cannot beat the price.  In this day and age of bike goodies that cost in the hundreds, $18 SHIPPED from the Far East is damn good value!  Oh, and it came FedEx, and I got it in 2 days.  It's a Small, Small World...

It's easy to reach down and flip the camera on and off, if desired.  It would be a GREAT camera angle in a crit.  Just turn it on at the start, and let it run...

I'm interested to see what pattern my 1100 lumen light throws when mount down low.

I've gotten several things from BDop, and been happy with all of them.

Monday is calling, and I must go.  Errands, laundry, and child care await.  The life of a Domestic God...



No comments: