07 March 2013

Did that just happen?

If you follow me on the Twitters, you probably saw a little exchange I had earlier this afternoon with none other than The Manx Missile himself.  Yep, one Mark Cavendish.

It seems ol' Cav lost the sprint in Tirreno today, then went on Italian TV and RIPPED his teammates for not living up to his expectations. 



Cav blamed this...blamed that...blamed the roundabout @ 1km to go...which wasn't a roundabout, considering they only turned left...

Leadout train...blah, blah,blah...

Well, I like Cav as a sprinter.  He's got some serious speed.  Style...not so much.  Sure, he's gracious when he wins, but that very same grace seems to escape him when things don't work out as planned.  Believe me when I say that I, along with most of us, have learned this lesson the hard way.  I've won some things in my wholly average athletic career.  I've lost MANY more.  The ratio is probably 50 to 1 in favor of the "L" column!

So, I called him out on it.  Two tweets...that's all!  Twitter is one of those things where a person can just peck out whatever horseshit is following from their stream of consciousness.  Just throw it out there onto the Intarwebs.  It means little, as Twitter is the largest conduit for passive/aggressive snark on the planet Earth.

A short while later, a dialogue began.  I guess what I tweeted about @markcavendish struck a nerve with him!  He tweeted back, and so it began. 
I merely stated that it was possible to answer the reporter's question in such a manner that a positive could be taken from the response, instead of the Worldwide slam he gave his boys.  Watch F1, or NASCAR, or any other professional sport.  NO athlete rips his team in the press.  It's bad form all the way around. 
Sure, be pissed, but brave face it, spin it to the old, "It's a long season.  We'll work it out and be ready for the next time..."

Never saw Cipo publicly crap on the heads of his leadout train!  Speaking of, the following video can be used as a tutorial on a proper leadout...



Just thought it was amusing that one of the most recognized cyclists/athletes in the World took such umbrage with a couple of 100 character tweets. 

Cav has washed his timeline of the exchange...I have not, nor will I.  He did post another highly P/A tweet about "negative thinkers" though.  Funny how the tone of that tweet included praise along with criticism.  Sort of what I was saying in the first place...

Anywho...

Tonight was the last night ride.  Time changes this weekend.  Remember to set your clocks forward!!!

I tried to get some pictures, but the lights on the bikes, darkness, reflective gear, etc., really confounded my little camera.

 No, it's not snowing... 

And the circus is in town...

It's been a full day...I'm tired...and it's past my bedtime...9:34...

Namaste...


No comments: