21 August 2011

A long-ish turns into...

...a LONG 3.5 hours!
I left on the CX bike with the plan to knock out @ 2.5 hours on the Jericho. I'm trying to loop together some dirt roads out in Lexington/Calhoun Counties for a Toby Porter-style adventure ride. Google Maps is very helpful in this endeavour, if you are planning to ride at whatever altitude the satellite circles the Earth. On the map, the road of choice looked perfetto. It was, of course, at the furthest possible point from the house.

(one of those 'too busy' roads people don't want to ride)

Knowing I should have scouted this loop in the truck first, I left the house. 90 minutes later, I made the right turn onto my 'perfect' dirt cut-through road, only to sink into Calhoun County's finest sand. Yep, the road was completely unrideable. FUCK! I could see the damn thing snaking up the ridgeline, but could do nothing about it.
Walking the 3km to the top help no romance, so I turned around and re-traced my steps home.
80km is a nice jaunt through the country, unless you're pushing 700x33 CX tires with 50psi in them.
Out of food, out of water, and coming apart, I limped the last 30 minutes through downtown/campus, and got home. Did I mention that I rode my tired/sweaty/dirty/stank self through the middle of sorority rush? Nice...

(this buoyed my spirits a bit)

As soon as I hit the door, a Mix1, a San Pellegrino Aranciata, a bottle of water, and a Coke were put down like so many lame horses. Luckily, there were no Krispy Kremes in the house...

No ridey tomorrow...

Maybe I'll watch the Vuelta...or go to Lowe's. Both are right up there on the excitement scale...

2 comments:

Junk said...

If it weren't for the Rush, I'd have thought it was the walk of shame.

MM said...

nah...she's far too put together, and she's not carrying her shoes!