13 June 2011

When good trips good bad...

So I blew out of Cola Saturday morning, WAAAAY before the rooster cracked open his beady little eyes. Set the cruise at 74mph, and left it there. Made the halfway point 30 minutes faster than last time I did this trip.
Gas-n-Go in Emporia, Va.
Back in breeze....
Hauled ass and was absolutely killing it until I hit the outskirts of DC. 35 miles to make it through DC took 1:17. At one point, I got OUT of the car, on I-95, and stretched for a few minutes. Traffic was stopped!!! My pal Gary posted on Twitter after I'd tweeted my plight, "DC is the place where making good time goes to die..."
After making safely out of the Thunderdome, ass began of be hauled again. If you aren't going 11mph on that part of I-95, you'd better be going 80mph. This pace was maintained until about 3 miles from the Delaware border.
Traffic backed up, and then proceeded at what could only be described as, ''at a crippled snail's pace''. Lo and behold, two jackasses, in too big of a fucking hurry, tried to hit the same lane at the toll plaza at the same time. If you know anything about physics, then you know how this worked out. Two cars wedged between the concrete barriers at the toll plaza will, in fact, cause issues.
Once beyond the festival of dumbassery, the final 30 minutes went by quickly.
A trip that was on plan to take just over 9 hours wound up sucking 10.5 hours out of my soul.

I rode yesterday to get rid of the stiffness in my legs, and MAN is it fucking hilly here. I'm glad I slapped the 11-28 on the bike. the 11 isn't needed, but the 28 was my friend yesterday. There are three climbs with 5 miles of the house that are Camp Old Indian-esque. Big fun for the fat guy!

Another road ride today. 2 hours or so. Can't do much more than that where I'm staying right now...not a lot of open spaces...

Dinner in South Philly tonight with a couple of short-listers...

Peace!

2 comments:

Ben said...

Let me know if you want to do Thursday night worlds while you're here. It goes off at 6pm in great valley.

-Ben

MM said...

Thanks Ben. I would partake, but we're having a cookout Thursday night. My plan is to ride W/Th/F before I go back to SC.