22 June 2011

I think I saw a hyena...

It's been Africa hot in Columbia the last few days. I know that it's hot in other places around the US, but Columbia is a different kind of heat. Sort of like brands of hot sauce offer different flavors and heat.
See, Columbia is a geographic wonder. We sit in this nice little hole, dead in the middle of the state. There are parts of Columbia that are less than 200 feet above sea level. This hole creates it's own weather, and gives our humble little city a bit of inversion. The junk weather just sits here and marinates, like beef stew, thus making it hotter and more humid than most other places.
The air stagnates, the wind stops blowing and it becomes quite unpleasant.

Last night, instead of trying to prostrate myself at the TNWC, I rolled out towards W.Cola on the CX bike. I figured hitting the dirt would be better b/c most of it was in the shade. On the way out, I met Il Prof on his way to the Tri-City ride, so we rode out there together. Upon leaving with them, Kempy and I got caught yapping and missed the light. Once out to 12th St., the chase was on. Kempy was on his tri bike with 404s, and I was on the Jericho with knobbies. Following his wheel at 40kmh+ was not easy, and sounded a bit like a monster truck rolling down the pavement. When we caught, he rode straight past the bunch, and I sat up and just rode with them until my turn onto the dirt.
Old State was dry, loose, and rough last night, but it was ALL shaded, and about 10-15 degrees cooler than the road. Not bad.
A bit of effort blew some garbage out, which was nice. However, the last 15-20 minutes of the ride was quite slow. No matter what you do on the bike, if it's done in 105+ temps, it sucks the life clean out of you!

Now...news you can use...

Ultegra Di2 is coming...to my house.
The Shack announces it's (senior) Tour roster. Horner expected to play the part of domestique, yet still finish higher than the angry midget.
Soler seems to be out of the woods. Good on you mate! Dude is a class bike racer!
Riis confirms Saxo Bank will be around as sponsor for 2012. Team will be known as "Team Saxo Bank p/b Omaha Steaks"
Speaking of class riders...Ted King everyone!
Peace!

No comments: