29 May 2008

A matter of time...

I went out with the Thursday group, as usual, but this time, I made the turn down to Elon instead of going down into the flats like I've been doing for the past few weeks. The back is feeling much better, so I figured I'd throw some anger into the mix tonight.
On the run down Ridge, we had a nice paceline going until about 600 meters from the sprint. Kevin took off when he hit the front. Why? No one knows. It's not like he has a sprint or enough power to ride away from the group. Aaron took off after him and, as usual, was riding WAAAAY over his head. They got about 100 meters from the line and shit just went sideways. From where I was, it looked like Aaron stood up to sprint, took about two pedal strokes and just fucking ejected. He did his best auger impression and tried to drill himself into the tarmac at 50kmh. The boy just flat took himself out. Thankfully, the rest off the group let those two dodos go, lest there would have been carnage.
There comes a point when a person need to realize their limitations. If you have a bad limb, be it from defect or injury, DON'T STAND UP TO SPRINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No good can come of it. Aaron has always been sketchy on the bike and ridden over his head. This time, he paid for it.
Stay in the back and don't get involved, please! Especially in a group where you're the noob!
But I digress...
The run down to Elon turned fast in a hurry. Once we made the turn, I sat up a bit as trying to climb with any force still hurts my back a wee bit. The group rolled down to Airbase together and then Der Kaiser hit the front. Again, I felt fine until the rise on Airbase. I still can't stand and pull hard on the bars w/o discomfort. I let the pipe hitters go over the top and waited for Mrs. DK and one of the Summit guys. The three of us rode solid tempo together for the length of Airbase. The group waited @ Double Homey and we rode in together. DK spread it out coming to the sprint, so it just didn't happen.
I'm feeling pretty good on the bike. My back feels above average. The heart, lungs and legs were fine tonight. This was 3 days in a row and 5 out of 6 on the bike. I'm going down to do the Beer Ride tomorrow night (shudder). Hopefully, the rubberside will stay down.

No comments: