24 September 2012

I called it...

 "Eh, I'm ahead of you beeshes...."

Yes, yes I did...
Last week on this very blog, and again Saturday on the group ride.  Don't believe me?  Ask Cal...
Gilbert ripped the group on the last ascent of the Cauberg, and rode away to the solo win. 
The fact that there were 5 Belgians in the final selection should have been worrisome to the rest.  I saw it and knew what was gonna happen, and I'm a dummy!
I guess if you're only gonna win one race during the season, this is the one to win...or Roubaix, but I'm not going to split hairs.
And I'm sure that some pseudo-Belge fanboys are trotting out their Lion of Flanders flags this morning, but know this...
Gilbert is a Walloon.

White guys...
Even Belgian white guys get the white man's overbite!

The video...so good...so, so good....




And on the other end of the white guy spectrum, I give you Taylor Phinney.  Finishes second in the TT, and instead of being elated, he puts on the Levi Leipheimer poo-face.  Sure, there's a bit of disappointment in not winning, but damn man...

Good ride again on Saturday...and another good group.  Another 80km rolled under the wheels with no trouble, drama, whinging, or real effort.  It was quite nice to just roll along at tempo for 2.5 hours.  I will say though, I did get dropped once.
Upon turning into the "Double Homey" section, I sat up took a drink, and pulled out the camera to take a few pictures.  No more than 20 seconds passed, and I was gapped off the back by MW.  See, he made the turn on the front, and nailed it.  Thanks man!
Pro-Tip :
Pay attention, even on a group ride, because chasing @ 45kmh doesn't catch the group that's 100m ahead and rolling at 45kmh.
We're going to make a concerted effort to keep this ride going thoughout the Winter.  A nice, flattish, tempo-ish affair.  Feel free to come on out.  The more the merrier.  Who knows, you may just enjoy it, and realize that it will help your fitness, and your mental well being!

Sunday, strange things were afoot at the Circle K.
Let's back up 12 hours first...
Saturday night, I put a new chain on the Ridley.  Of course, being blessed with highly selective OCD, this meant that the had to be disassembled, and cleaned.  Why put a clean, new chain on a grungy cassette and rings?  Come on...
Everything came off, got cleaned, and went back on.  Did I test ride it?  NOOOOOOO!  Why the hell do that?  I've put hundreds of chains on hundreds of bikes.  I know WTF I'm doing!!
I rolled out of the driveway Sunday morning, and pedaled up the street.  No issues!
Crossing Rosewood was a bird of a different feather.
I stood up, applied some pressure, and the chain slipped.  Only my freakish upper body strength, as well as my testicles, kept me from going over the bars, into the four lane road.  I chalked it up, and went on my way, only now, the chain was skipping even with the slightest pressure. 
I made to Dr. LP's house, and threw in the towel.  No sense fighting a losing battle.  I also was forced to recall the last time my chain slipped in such a manner.
I ended up in the CT tube @ Providence.  No thanks!  Don't need that again!  The cost of hitting the ground is usually higher than just the co-pay....

I rolled home, showered, and headed to Service Course to right the wrong.
Turns out, a new KMC chain and a worn out HELL out Shimano cassette do NOT speak the same language.  I ran thru my book, and figured out that the cassette in question was the one that went into service 3 years 4 months ago.  It probably had 18-19 thousand kms on it.
Time to be made into a windchime....
I threw on a new cassette, did a R/D cable adjustment, and test rode the whip.
Perfetto!

The rest of the day was spent lazing around, and playing with Junior Management.  Not a bad Sunday!

Time to do some shopping!  I need some "stuff"....

Oh, and big congrats to my boy Junk, who finished 10th in 40+ at Three Peaks.  That's strong my brother!

Enjoy your week peeps!

Namaste!


1 comment:

Junk said...

Thank you, sir. It's about time I had a race that didn't involve multiple missed turns or mechanicals. Now if I can only keep this trend going.