29 October 2011

Saturday lamentations

So, after coming home from a wet/muddy-ish/slick-ish CX ride this morning, I began a cursory search for a CX bike with discs. You know, just in case...(wink, wink)
Former HMFIC of Marketing at Specialized, Rick Vosper, happens to be a principle at Airborne. We go back and forth on the Twitters, so I decided to take a gander at their wares.

The Delta CX that Airborne offers seems to tick all of the correct boxes. My inner bike snob has been quieted over the last few years, especially when it comes to bicycles that I'm going to simply beat the shit out of. $3000+ on a CX, that I'm paying for? Not bloody likely.
Road bike? Yep, still a bit snobbish, yet softening around the edges, but I digress.

A $1200 CX bike is right in the power alley. And let's remember, this would be CX bike #3 in the quiver. (n+1, right?)
I'm still batting around the idea of Southern X, so the Delta CX would be a good arrow. The Jericho would be primary, but if the weather is shit, a disc brake rig might be the correct call.

I'm also open to sponsorship arrangements (read : whoring myself out). At 6'1" and 185, there is plenty of real estate on which to plaster your corporate logo. (you listening Rick?)

If you are so inclined to visit Airborne's site, also take a look at the Goblin. A very cost effective, and well-spec'd way to get into the 29er game. AND it's a pretty badass green color...

As for the aforementioned ride this morning...
It was two hours in the wet, 46 degree, windy ass country. The tarmac roads were slick from the little bit of rain we received overnight. That rain was the first in WEEKS, so it brought every bit of the Middle East's finest to the surface. Between the rain, the wet leaves, and the mud, the close calls counted 2...at 45 minutes into the ride. I dialed back in an effort to keep my big ass ON the bike. Clement LAS tires are great, as long as it's dry...

Road ride tomorrow...Outspokin'...0900...60 miles +/-

Namaste

2 comments:

Emily said...

So what happened to "my next bike will likely be a Baum?"

MM said...

For someone who is a college professor, your reading comprehension skills are for shit.
Sure, I said that my next bike will likely be a Baum...I own that, but if you actually to the time to READ what I had written in this post, you'd understand that it won't be a CX bike. It wasn't too hard...or was it?
Here's my quote : "My inner bike snob has been quieted over the last few years, especially when it comes to bicycles that I'm going to simply beat the shit out of. $3000+ on a CX, that I'm paying for? Not bloody likely." I believe I also stated that it would be my 3rd CX bike. It would slot in behind my custom steel Jericho, and likely on par with my 1x9 Salsa.

You should probably find something better to do than harass me concerning a FB post, and comments. It's kind of pitiful. You're 0-2 for the day. Again though, thanks for playing...still your turn.