04 April 2010

Weekend Update

Friday- I found a great loop out through West Columbia, into Lexington county. Great roads, friendly cagers (shocking), and fabulous terrain. It ended up being right at 3 hours and 55 miles. I come home crusty with yellow pine pollen, tired, and as happy as a puppy with two peters. It's just too bad that there are only about 3 people in the downtown group that will actually ride out that way. Lower Richland is brutally boring anymore and there are GREAT loops just across the river, no further away than where we ride every damn day! Anyway...
Saturday- I rolled to Fairfield County to help LL with the first installment of the 321 TT Series. @60 folks rolled into White Oak from all around for the not-so-flat 20k and 40k races. The air wasn't quite warm at start time, the wind was stiff and the pollen was flying. Everything went smoothly and the racers were happy. The upside was the fact that everything was buttoned up and I was home by 1pm.
There were a few fast times, including GW (go figure), but my BIG ups go to young Jeremiah Rambo. He's a stud, period. 10 years old and riding a tiny Trek road bike, but he did it and averaged 15mph on the 20km course. I was proud of the boy!
Sunday- I planned to do a long ride on my peaceful, family-free Sunday. Plans changed. I built the MT's Easter baskets last night, which meant that several bits of candy were ingested by yours truly. The combo of ingesting pollen and candy led to a general feeling of malaise when I rolled out of bed.
Instead, I did a loop of the Fort with Crusty and the soon-to-be Mrs. Crusty. Nice easy spin and was home in 2 hours. Now to lay about for the rest of the day....

Cancellara crushed it in Flanders today. I should have taken the betting line 2 weeks ago, before E3 Harelbeke, when SkyBet had him @ 33 to 1!! Dammit! Farrar was 5th and Hincapie 6th...
Video will follow as soon as it's available!

I think I may start a Columbia Cycling group on Facebook as well. Just a place to post rides, catch rides to rides/races and put up general information for everyone in town (or out of town). Thoughts?

Peace...Have a good Easter Sunday!

3 comments:

Toby Porter said...

+1 on the FB idea. Glad you came over to the hick side of town. It ain't so bad as long as you know where to go.

LL said...

Cola Cycling-Good idea
Spartacus-STRONG!
321 help-Big thanks!

MM said...

FB group created and invites sent! Pass the word!

Toby- Great loop out through Cayce, up around Fish Hatchery, up Gator and in 302. Low traffic in the mornings and completely new! Big fun!

LL- No worries man. I want the cycling scene in Cola to be the equal of G'ville, Charlotte and Charleston. No reason it shouldn't be. More people need to volunteer at races and help this idea come to fruition.