10 August 2008

Weekend...

Friday...Beer Ride...truly frightening...I hadn't ridden for 5 days and had really stiff legs, so I bit the bullet and went out. That shizz is just out of control. Too many people with too few skills. Sean and his kid almost killed the group. Peanuthead is right on the very edge of crashing, even when going dead straight. Last time out for me...
Saturday...8 a.m. ride...normal crap. People with too much false pride chasing and wanting to show how fast they are, only to be dragged home. Wanna ride fast? Tuesday @ 6:30 and Thursday @ 6:00. Saturday should be steady with a few fast stretches thrown in. Regroup at the turns.
Anyway, once the pretenders turned off and/or went to the back, the ride settled down into a nice loop. Crusty had some tire issues and there was a prolonged flat change that took up most of the group's spares. At the end, Crusty and I went handlebar to handlebar for the sprint. We both lost...me, the sprint by @ 4 inches, and he, his sunglasses. Nothing like hearing someone shout "SHIT" right beside you at almost 65kph. I was steeling myself for a crash that, thankfully, never happened.
Sunday brought out a bigger than usual group for a slow (nice!) ride through Lower Richland, up Congress and across to Airbase. It was a pleasant ride, filled with good company and good conversation.
Overall, a nice weekend with cooler temps and some much needed miles. I'll miss the TNCWC again Tuesday, as the H.O. has a work function in Greenville. Her work is putting a crimp in my schedule...

No comments: