27 August 2008

Rain?

Well, I've decided a career path. I'm going to be a weatherman. It seems it's the only job you can have and be absolutely wrong...EVERYDAY...and still stay employed.
It was supposed to rain all day, and in copious amounts, yesterday. It rained for about 5 minutes, right when I left the house to ride.
I figured the threat of rain and the beautiful colors on the radar map would would keep people away from the TNCWC, and I was correct. More on that in a moment...
Anyway, I pulled the Salsa out of the ManHole(tm) and headed off into a light drizzle (that stopped 5 minutes later). Down through the ghetto and up to campus, then down across into Granby Mills. I found some trails, looped them together and headed back out. I searched for a way to get to the old bridge that leads to the locks on the river, but the kudzu was just too thick to even see the river, so I hit Bluff and went out to Heathwood Hall. I did three loops of the paved/dirt road back by the waste treatment plant...poo stinky...! The wind was pretty brutal on the uphill/headwind stretches. What took 4 minutes 30 with the tailwind took almost 8 minutes with the headwind. The stretches were almost intervals as the sandy/dirt roads were very wet and soft. 700x38 tires float over that stuff though...! It still felt good to get the HR up for 12 minutes at a time. Everything actually felt like it was working properly. Well, for me...the bike, not so much. That pig's getting overhauled as soon as I get a new rear derailleur. I digress...
By the time I looked at my watch, it was 7, so I headed over to the crit course to see if anyone showed. 7 intrepid souls came out to loop the course for 45 minutes. Crusty took the win from the small group.
I rolled in with Der Kaiser and Crusty and ended up with almost 2 hours on the cross bike.
No ride Thursday for me. I'll be in the SuperBox for the Carolina game...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You make me angry, I didn't even get a ticket! Its my school!

MM said...

You also don't spend $150,000 on advertising with the athletic department either... :)-