15 August 2008

Pretty mediocre...thank you...

That's how I felt last night. I was tired, the legs were flat and my heart just wasn't in it. Don't get me wrong, I wanted to ride my bike, but killing it had little appeal.
The ride was big last night...must have been the weather. We did the normal Thursday Elon loop and the pace seemed pretty sedate for the first hour or so. Once we hit Airbase, things changed. FastLL and Der Kaiser hit the front, one after the other and jacked the pace through the roof. Everyone was together until the rise. How I went over 4th and got gapped out is an act I can only blame on my own stupidity. I let the line go by and ended up on the wrong wheel. At this exact moment, FastLL nailed it and the gap was open. I was boxed in and just watched it roll away. I got unboxed and chased my guts out for about a kilometer and then just waited for Corbett and Reed...they got gapped too.
We chased hard and the gap never opened further...it also never closed! The rest of the ride was piano. Some folks jacked it up for the sprint...I wasn't one of them.
I think I'm flat because I've been forced to take off so many days in the past two weeks. No more...
I have 3 weeks until another forced break, so I'll be on the bike. The next break is a beach trip and family photo shoot. The H.O. hired a photographer to take some of those 'big happy family on the beach' pictures. Oh joy...!

Oh, I almost forgot...
We are batting around the idea of a dirt road metric century for the late fall/early winter. Anyone who is interested is welcome. We've decided that the dirt/gravel/whatever sections will be fast, but the paved portions will be at a moderate pace. Let me know...! I'm going to start piecing the route together shortly.
Saturday 8 a.m. @ the gate...

No comments: