08 June 2007

I'm not fit!

The fact that I haven't ridden with any anger for the better part of three weeks, coupled with a back injury that has prevented most physical activity and two kids under two in the house, I am not very fit right now.
I survived the ride last night, period. I felt really good on the way out, but my lack of fitness reared it's ugly head going down Ridge towards Elon. It wasn't as fast as I've seen it, but it was enough to make me start clicking and popping. Suffice to say, I was the last man up the climb. Philip is in an active rest week, so he towed me to the top.
Once over Elon, I actually felt pretty good. The legs are definitely rested and still have the ability to make needed power, but the heart and lungs just aren't there right now. The back felt okay last night. I couldn't pull on the bars with the fervor needed to make it over the hump on Airbase. Rich and Karl went, of course, and shattered the group. I made it over just behind the second group and bridged across with help from Philip (seems to be a recurring theme...). Once onto the second group, I recovered and took my pulls. We were actually working well together and pulling the front group back when we got the the stop sign. Of course, there was a RCSO officer at the stop, so we were obliged to actually stop. Bye-bye front group...

They waited at the turn and we rolled on through double homey. Jay took a 28 mile an hour pull that was like motorpacing. Beautiful...
I felt good and planned to dice for the sprint on Shop. Philip did his normal lead across the bridge and the group lined out. I made the mistake of being on ThePeanut's wheel. He was sitting sixth wheel and promptly blew up in the middle of the bridge. I saw it coming, as it's his M.O., but didn't jump around. He just let the gap go and had the balls to wave everyone around. If you can't hold the pace, don't get in the middle of the line!!!! I explained this to him, succinctly, and he said he'd take it under advisement. Don't be a wise-ass either!!! I'm way out of shape and still dropped him more than a couple of times last night. I'll get fitter, he won't...

Anyway, rant about ThePeanut notwithstanding, it was a good ride and I felt pretty good for not getting too shelled.

Poor Joel! The creaking he was experiencing on his Litespeed was actually a broken frame. OutJokin' wants $125 to tear it down and ship it!! Are you fucking kidding me? I'll do it for a pizza. A teardown, especially a fast and dirty one, takes about 25 minutes. I'm sure those bozos will want another $125 to rebuild it...
The best part is the fact that their #1 wrench told Joel that Litespeed would just weld in another tube...! Yeah, good luck with that, considering you can't re-weld Ti, especially 10 year old Ti...
Inspires confidence in their ability to work on your bike, huh? And they're the 'pro-shop' in town...whose racers take their stuff to CC for Tim to wrench on...head-scratcher...

No comments: