09 June 2007

Hot and sticky...

Much like a weekend I once spent in Hilton Head...with a female who shall remain nameless, today's ride was hot and sticky. 6 of us met @ 9am...well, more like 9:20 because Mick forgot his helmet. He and Doug drove to Doug's house and got a spare. Once they made it back, we were off. We tooled out of the Fort and went out Leesburg, all the way to Congress. Then left on Willie Wilson and the old downhill run into Eastover. The rest of the trip was the usual Cabin Creek to Double Homey. We had a good ride, averaging just shy of 30 km/h. I ended up with 57 miles in a tick over three hours.
The temps were manageable when we started, but it got damn hot towards the end. I vowed to stay hydrated and drank 5 bottles in 3 hours. I only need one 'break au naturel'. Sweat production was definitely on the high end. I got some good sun on the old pale body today too.

Once I got to the house, I started thinking about having an ice cold Coke, only for my plans to be scuttled on the shores of 'Locked out of the House' beach. The H.O. had gone walkabout and didn't leave keys in the mailbox. I tried, in vain, to get into a window...all locked. I could have broken in, but there's no sense in ruining part of the house.
So I did what any grown, 37 year old man would do. I went to the backyard, filled #1's baby pool and sat my fat ass in the cool water. Man, did that shock the system. I sat in the cool water, under the shade of 100 year old hickory and oak trees, further cooled by a light breeze and lamented that life was pretty flipping good.

Good ride, good group, back feels better, and a dip in the pool...not a bad morning.

No comments: