14 March 2007

The first crit

Well, the first installment of the Tuesday Night World Championship Crit Series went off without a hitch last night. I was a generally safe affair with a lot of give and take by all who attended. The only iffy behavior was exhibited by 'you-know-who'...
On at least two occasions that I saw, ThePeanut swung wildly right into the middle of the group after making his feeble efforts to ride to the front. It's okay though, he got shuffled out the back after about 30 minutes. It took longer than expected to be honest...

The first lap was a virtual noodle-fest, but the poopy hit the fan on lap 2. The pace picked up and stayed above 40 kmh, with more than a few 50+ surges, until about halfway. At 20-ish minutes in, Der Kaiser attacked and we all watched. All except AZPhil. He went across the gap and the two were never heard from again. We could see them about 300 meters in the distance, but there was no bringing it back. A few little groups got off the main peloton, but were quickly reeled in. I want to see AZPhil's SRM data.

The last lap saw an early attack from LittleJoe, but it was quickly pulled back. I was sitting third wheel at 1500 and did not want to be there. I sat up a bit and let the line go and got back in about 12th. I felt good for the sprint. I hit my pedal in the last turn, which is something I've never done before. I think the BB on the new bike is lower than the Ridley, but I digress...
I was still sitting 10 or 12 back when the pace ramped up and I tried to throw a spanner in the works by going from 350. It was a solid plan, except for the lack of communication between my brain and the rest of my body. The heart and lungs gave out at about 150 to go and I coasted across the line solidly in the middle. It's funny to watch the non-sprinters dice for it though. D-Rok showed them a clean set of wheel to mop up the field sprint.

Overall, it was a good ride and really fun, if this sort of thing can be considered fun. I rode well and only felt bad once during the 47 minute affair. Good times people, good times...

1 comment:

Toby Porter said...

Sounds like a hoot! (ters) What other fun group rides are going on in your area? If you guys what to see other parts of this hick infested area, let me know - I know some places to go ride.

Toby