16 March 2007

The duties of fatherhood

I missed the first Thursday ride of the season last night. Well, I wouldn't say I missed it, I just wasn't in attendance. I'm sure fun was had by all...I just had other things to do.

The H.O. was out of town with her assistant, so I was on Bambino duty. The two of us drove out to have dinner with his two crazy grandmothers. Yes, I said two. My grandma is still alive and kicking at 89. She's a cantankerous old woman anymore. Between her and Il Bambino, it's like having two kids...

I just picked up a Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, brand new, uncut, in the box, for $125. Not bad for a fork that retails @ $350. It's all in an effort to stiffen up the front end of the Ibis. The frame itself rides like a champ. The fork, well, not so much. For general riding and noodling about, it's fine, but for racing, it's a wee-bit too mushy for my liking. The Reynolds should tighten things up a bit. I also bought a 45mm rake, which, in theory, should quicken the handling ever so slightly. It's only a 2mm difference, so I'll reserve judgement. Of course, 2mm in some carbon fiber applications is the difference between success and catastrophic failure.

It's been sunny and 75 here all week and it's pissing rain today. The weather is supposed to clear out and be sunny tomorrow, but about 20 degrees colder. Oh well, better 55 and sunny than 55 and rainy...

Peace...

No comments: