23 November 2012

Stacking miles like cord wood...

Today was the 4th day in a row on the bike.  Definitely feel a bit of fatigue, but nothing that isn't manageable.  Plus, it's been freaking beau-ti-ful over the course of the last 4 days, so NOT riding would be a much larger crime.

Yesterday was a good ride, that started out with a sharp (literally) shot to the beans.  11 minutes (yes, exactly 11 minutes!) into my ride, I rounded a corner, and rolled directly through a pile of broken-TV-tube glass.   Glass 2 - MM ZERO.  I say two, because not only did I get a flat, the fat/chunky glass sliced the tire like it had been in a prison-yard dust up.  Oh, did I mention it was a brand spanking new Veloflex 300tpi cotton-cased tire made with Italian love?  And a Michelin latex tube?  Here's $65, let me just throw that into the street.
I changed it, put just enough air in the tube as not to bottom out, and rolled home.  90 seconds later, a different rear wheel was in the dropouts, and I was gone again.  2.5 hours later, I rolled into Service Course.  Including the initial 30 minutes part one of the ride, 3 hours passed under the wheels.

TVH and I met this morning for a nice spin out thru LexCo.  Easy peasy 2:15 on the bike.  It worked out well, as I dropped The Beast off at Pope-Davis to get the new tires put on @ 9.  I rolled up the hill, met TVH, and we were off.  My phone rang during the ride, and they said the truck was done, so I parted company @ Huger St., and rolled back to P-D and picked it up.  Scheduling done correctly, thank you!

The regular rides are going off this weekend.  It's supposed to be colder, so warm up the chamois cream before schmearing it on your taint.

I was also accused of being an enabler yesterday.  It seems that several folks in Charlotte have been on the receiving end of my advice, and purchased their new bicycles accordingly.  It happened again today.

One of the Charlotte hotties pulled the trigger on this fine piece of Italo-Chinese technology.  It will be wearing Campag Record 11, and Boyd 38mm carbon clinchers, and it will fit her perfectly.  It will NOT be heavy.

I like this picture A LOT...

Not much else to put out there.  Hope everyone had a Happy Turkey Day!  Gotta go wash The Beast.

Namaste!




No comments: