09 April 2008

TNCWC

So, Doogie and I decided to go out EARLY last night, to get some extra miles before the TNCWC. We met at 4:30 and headed out through the Fort. After a short jaunt down through LR, we ended up at the course. I had 2 hours on the bike before the Crit even started. After the neutral lap, 3 folks took off. I jumped across and took Doogie with me. At this point, I was feeling froggy, so I figured WTF. The 5 of us rode a hard tempo and voila, we were away. I took my pulls, albeit short ones and quickly realized, after 15 minutes in the break, that I was the albatross. I sat up and drifted back to the group.
The break went from 5 to 4 to 3 and then RW and Doogie were left. They stayed out for 25 minutes and got swallowed up. The rest of the ride was punctuated by attacks, chases, big gaps to close and counterattacks. There was horsepower out last night, but nothing would stick.
With three to go, I really began to question the fact that my computer was telling me I had 55 miles at that point. My legs were little more than bags of meat and there were no bullets left in the gun.
I got gapped a bit on the last lap and fought to close it to get in position for the sprint. The little chase fired my last shot. I watched as the top four rolled away for the sprint. Derek won* the sprint, but RW won the Crit. I finished 6th* and was a hurt monkey on the ride home.
Overall, I didn't feel all that bad, considering..., and ended up with 60 miles for the evening.
This morning, I'm dehydrated and a bit shaky. The legs feel like I've been beaten at GITMO for a few days. As I type this, I'm getting a cramp in my calf.
Even though I feel iffy today, it was a good ride and will help me in the long run...at least that's the mantra I keep repeating.

*Derek won, but was relegated as he missed the first 20 minutes of the race. Everyone moves up a spot.

No comments: