20 January 2008

First race of the season...

...and I won!

This morning, I got on the bike @ 9. No big deal...except it was 30 degrees and the windchill was 24. I din't really feel a 'windchill' on the bike, but WeatherUnderground is nuts if they think the wind was only blowing @ 7mph. The headwind on the way out through the northside was stiff. Almost as stiff as Mitt Romney's hair...

Once I got down to the dam, I had the wind at my back. The river was high this morning.

It was running freely, and with some power, over the dam.

Anyway, I turned down the Greenway and stuck it in the bigg-ish ring to do my normal effort. I didn't dig too deep, as it was really freaking cold, but I went a bit harder than tempo.

I did the normal big-ring jam up through the Vista on Gervais and turned to hit the M.C. Escher garage. The gate was open, so I made my way to the top, standing the entire way. I reached the top and decided to rest for a minute. Wrong answer! I heard someone yell in my direction, so I turned and saw a rather large man running for his truck. I was guessing he didn't want to discuss last night's Republican primary, so I bolted. It was on bitches!

I had an entire ramp lead on him when he started chasing me. I went as hard as I felt the cross tires would allow me. They were getting really loud in the turns. I did about 15 full power sprints on the way down and the gap between the truck and I never changed. At the bottom, there a quick, sharp left/right combo to navigate before hitting the street. Screw that! I channeled Andrei Tchmil from '94 Roubaix and just bunnyhopped the raised sidewalk out into the street. I hit the street, dropped it into the 48/12 and was gone...gone...gone! I made the corner and disappeared. It was very Kevin Bacon in 'Quicksilver'!

I rode up through the Statehouse complex, campus and home, adrenalin pumping! The cold was an afterthought at this point! It was an exciting 90 minute cross ride.

Time to load up and go to Lowes...

4 comments:

Joel said...

Not related to this post, but...

I was leafing through the latest issue of "Outside" (Feb.2008) at a newsstand, and read an article (on page 25, I think) about cycling; the author complained about his hammer-dog friend he calls...wait for it, "Der Kaiser" I had to look at the byline to make sure it wasn't you! You need to sue his ass for trademark infringement ;-)

MM said...

Somebody owes me a fucking check!
WHere are you right now?

The Ghost of Jerry Reed said...

Was it a security guard or USC po-po or a construction site minion. Great chase nonetheless. Wish I had as much bunnyhopping confidence as you do. By they way, those temps ain't THAT cold. Try commuting 20 miles when it be 16 with a nasty lil' headwind....

MM said...

My commute is always somewhere around 12-15 feet and the temps are usually a cozy 68-70 degrees.
I think the dude chasing me was a construction foreman...his truck was too nice to be a pee-on. I wasn't sticking around to find out.