11 October 2015

Back in the Saddle...

(Subtitle : Around your ass to get to your elbow)

After the rains, which made yet another multi-inch visit yesterday, we finally got to ride this morning. Thing is, the normal routes are ostensibly gone. Roads are just gone. Not just backroads, but main thoroughfares.
Most of the "flat" routes are interrupted by road, and/or bridge washouts.
We had to area adjust to out into the hills today. In looking at the road closure list from the DMV, we're going to have to seriously adjust a few loops.
Listen, I'm not complaining, we're riding bikes here, not splitting the atom. In the grand scheme, what I'm doing on the bike is pretty unimportant. Honestly, I almost feel bad for being out on the road, on a bicycle, while others have lost much, and are trying to get by. Believe me, I get it....
It was good to go outside and play!

At the same time, I've been stuck in the house with three children for a week, as school has been out. Did I mention that The Boss was gone on business for most of last week?
Oh yeah, and I have a case of poison oak that would kill a mortal man. If I could take a cheese grater to it, I would. Not itching the shit makes my 14 years of sobriety look like playing Chutes and Ladders.

These are my travails...YMMV.
Oh, and here's a couple of pictures of one of our main routes...

The "stream" that usually runs under it is usually about 10' wide and 2' deep. Don't fuck with water...
And YES, the train tracks are just hanging there...

Euro CX started today. Looked like a nice Summer day in Belgie...


And the Tour of Abu Dhabi came to an end. More camels than people watched...
And Peto, in his white kit (shudder) decided to rock the black shoes...
Just NO! And I see that the Big S made him ride the new Venge dumptruck...
Ugly, AND rides like crap. What's not to love?

Hopefully, the children will go back to school at some point this week, and I'll get to go check out The Powerstation. Wondering how big the washout will be? Hell, it might be big enough to just ride down into, and up & out of the other side.

Maybe we'll get back on a regular schedule around here....



No comments: