08 April 2013

Quick weekend...

Man, did that fly by...

Here's the last 4kms of Roubaix.  The whole race should be up in a few hours...



Cancellara did, in fact, beat the entire peloton this year.  The negative racing was less, but still present.  As was said in the movie, "The Highlander",

"...there can be only one..."

Sep Vanmarcke showed class in staying with Fabi until the sprint.  Probably better that he got out of Garmin, and out from under Vaughters...

As for OmegaPharmaQuickStepJoesCrabShackPaulMitchellHairDesigns, they put one on the podium, but it seems like having Cavendish in their midst has turned the team into a bunch of whingers.  When Stybar and the other OPQS ride hit the fans in the Carrefour, the team cried out in unison that it was the fans that cost them the race.  No, dummies...it was your own damn fault.
I've never ridden the "pave bleu", and don't truly understand the toll that Roubaix takes on one's body and soul, but I HAVE watched enough bike racing to know that you don't ride in the gutter, with your head down.  The fans tend to stand in the gutter, and...well...the head down thing should be self-explanatory. 
Want proof?  Ask Juan Offredo...



The crash in the Carrefour was the riders' fault...pretty smple...

I didn't watch the last 60km, as I chose to go outside and enjoy a bike ride in the big sunshine.  TVH and I knocked down a couple of hours at a decent pace, then I came home and lounged.  I did choose to honor Roubaix though, by riding the 3x/32hole wheels, shod with wide Vittoria Corsa SC rubber.   Blond sidewalls, of course...

Saturday, I drove up to Rock Hill to race around in circles.  Not going to give a blow by blow, as it serves little purpose.  Here are the bulletpoints :

-Traffic...got there late
-Dressed and on bike @ 8:40.  Race started @ 8:45
-One lap (.75miles) of warmup
-OUCH!
-Stayed in the group for the most part
-Have people forgotten how to go through corners, or did some never know?
-Lots of argy bargy on the last lap
-Nearly crashed in turn four.  See two entries above...^^^^^^^
-Rode in at the tail of the bunch
-Finished with all skin and intact collarbones.
-Call it a push...

I always knew that I couldn't just roll out of the car, line up and race, but Saturday proved it.  At 43 years old, and being a big body, I need at least 30 minutes on the trainer to get the fluids going.  I also fucked up by not cooling down at all.  I just rode to the car, tossed my shit in, and came home.  Should have ridden for another hour or so, just around Rock Hill...
As Saturday progressed, the combination of the complete lack of warmup, the effort, and the lack of cooldown really whipped me.  I felt like garbage by 5pm. 
Woke up Sunday to ride with TVH, still felt like crap, but glad I went out.  It was much needed to get the bad out...

More Roubaix...

Arenberg Forest...



I'll post the whole video when it hits the intarweb tubes...

Have a good Monday...




No comments: