24 April 2017

Sleepy/Rainy Monday

And for once, the gloom and rain is a bit welcome.
I'm tired. I want nothing more than to sit today.
5 days last week. All felt good, and I'm feeling better on the bike, so there's that.
And the new carbon wheels ride really freaking well. I haven't been on carbon wheels since I rendered my Williams obsolete by going to 11v. It's been a year.
I tried to tell myself that my 28mm alu Williams wheels were just as fast as a set of 50mm carbon wheels. I was lying to myself. At 30-ish kmh, there's not a lot of difference. Once the speed ramps up, it's obvious.
Glad I finally came off the nickel, and got a set built. Yeah...BUILT. You can do that.
One doesn't have to go into the LBS and buy a set of wheels whose price is driven by marketing. Shocking, I know...
Gigantex 50mm hoops (23mm wide), Novetec straight pull hubs, & Sapim CX-Ray spokes/nipples. 1430g 635F/795R). <<< I weighed them...
Stiff and fast. Simple, cost effective build. No drama. 25mm Vittoria Corsas w/latex tubes measure right at 27mm.
I would have like to go a bit wide on the hoops, but the silly Noah won't accept rims much wider than 23/24mm. I tried a set of 27mm wide wheels, and the clearance in the fork was @ 1mm per side. Nope. No thanks. Too close.
One does what one must.
Anywho...
4 road rides, and a CX ride went in the book last week. The weather was pretty perfect for all of them.
 The PowerStation is in good nick. Lots of animals out there milling about. Deer, hogs, raccoons, snakes, raptors. Ride the road. Leave them alone. You are a guest. If I find another Gu packet, I will put on my ghillie suit, and hunt you down. Fuckwit.
 Lower Richland is looking pretty green. And someone is actively picking up trash on the sides of the road. Thank you! And to the people who just throw their crap out of the car, you're a bunch of dicks.
Saturday, we were WAY out. Pretty much had it to ourselves for a while. New tarmac. Light winds. No cars. Yes please....
I posted these shots to social media, and a friend commented (sarcastically) that it must be tough to ride here. It's a cross we all bear.
As an aside, we should be very grateful for it. I've ridden all over the country. We live in one of the best places there is for road riding. Remember that next time you want to complain...

In sad news, Michele Scarponi was struck and killed by a van driver last week. And of course, the driver used the old "I didn't see him" defense.
Ride in Peace Michele! And thank you.

Related...
Valverde won Fleche and LBL, then stated he'd be giving his winnings to Scarponi's family. All of you who seem to harbor so much hate for Valverde should take note of this. How many others would do such a thing?
Yeah, he got popped for doping. He did his time, came back, and is still kicking ass. It's amusing how much righteous indignation is wasted on Valverde, but not aimed at the rest of the guys who have gotten popped and come back.

I won't bore you with the video of Fleche. It was a fast group ride with a 1km sprint up the Muur de Huy.
There...you know what happened.
LBL was pretty good though...



In happier news, I picked up a new bike for #1.
27.5" wheels. Discs. Decent spec. He's pretty chuffed about it. Oh, and it's a 17" frame. He's 11. FFS.

And as I finish this, the sun is starting to peek through the clouds. It'll probably be pretty nice...right up until I need to go pick up Junior Management at school. Ain't it always the way...

We're done here. Go be frank and properous. (H/T to KK)

No comments: